Wednesday, October 29, 2008

11. Tell me everything will be alright

Just then Payton walked in. The look on his face told us all he hadn't found anything either.


“Hey guys,” he said. “what are we doing for lunch”

“Whatever you want, man,” Derek replied.

“How much money do we have?” Jade asked.

“Well, we figured we'd stay at the hotel for 4 days, so that was about 150 bucks. So we only have like 30 bucks left. Jamie, when do you get paid?” Payton asked

“Friday.”


Today was Wednesday.


“I'd say let's stick to McDonald's.” Jade said. “Dollar menu is good. But even that's not gonna last us till Friday.”

“Nope, so what should we do?”

“Skip lunch.”


Nobody wanted to do that. This wasn't apart of our plans when we originally started. Nobody really had any plans coming out here. None, except, living the good life. Now we were paying for our lack of organization. Who knew how many meals we'd have to skip in the future. We still had to find an apartment or something. I wondered how much that would cost around here.


“So, we're not eating?” Cameron asked?

“Well if we skip lunch now, for dinner we can each get two things on the dollar menu. Then we'd have $20 left. Then tomorrow, we'll eat two meals the same way. Then on Friday we'll just wait till Jamie gets paid.” This was Payton's plan anyways.

“Uh, so when are we going to look for a place?” This was now my biggest fear.

“I guess I'll look around tomorrow.” Payton didn't look to happy about it. “So tell me Jamie, how is it that you found a job right away, and all of us are on day two of job hunting? Did you bribe your employer or something?”

“No. I spent like 5 hours walking around this freaking city looking for a job. And on foot too. I don't know how I got the job. I just asked, and they gave me a chance.”

“Jeez, don't get your shirt in a knot. I was joking.”

“Hmph.”

“Well I was!”

“Just don't make fun of me like that. At least I have a job. Anyways, my shift is over, let's get out of here.”

So we all got up and walked outside and started walking aimlessly around town. What a pathetic bunch we were. My stomach growled in agreement.

8 comments:

cady said...

Dollar menu. Fun. Next time try Wendy's. Hamburger & vanilla Frosty. Mmm. XD

Anonymous said...

Haha. thank you. I like your story too and I'm going to follow it.

Cait said...

the struggles of being in the city. i like the intensity.

best on all your writing. stay inspired.

Jaerixon said...

you should read my blog

ellie said...

I like how you are writing about things that yes, you have to decide now ...about later..even with the dollar menu.

Keep going!

Unknown said...

haha jamie, provider for her little family of five......

dont u DARE stop writin!...or else....i'll....i'll.....stop giving u precal pointers :P

mariposa said...

Awesome blog! & thanks so much for commenting/following my blog :) I'll definitely be back to read more :)

Anonymous said...

I like the story!

I'll have to check back soon!