Tuesday, October 28, 2008

9. Cloudy nights bring sunny mornings

It was about 6 when I woke up. Before I fell asleep, I had decided that I would head out as soon as I could so I could find a job and maybe rest my mind a little.


I left a note on the mirror in the bathroom telling everyone I'd be back around noon. I got dressed, grabbed one of the room keys, and headed out. Thankfully I had taken a shower the night before, or else I would've had to skip it so I wouldn't wake anybody.


I stepped outside and took a breath. It was beautiful. The morning sun was dancing on the rooftops, and everything felt new. Maybe everything would be all right....


First I headed into the restaurant across the street from the hotel. That was a dead end. Then I tried the toy store. Also a dead end. I tried about 20 more places, and none of them had any work available. Finally I went into a Barnes and Nobles.


“Excuse me. Can I speak with the manager?” I asked a worker.


“Sure hold on,”


“Thanks.”


I waited for about five minutes, and finally she came back with the manager.


“What can I help you with?” he asked.


“I was just wondering if you had any job positions open. I'm looking for a job.” I replied.


“Well, the only help we need is in the Starbucks coffee shop, but I don't know if you'd be interested in that.”


“I've never worked at a coffee shop, but I would really like to try. See I just moved here and I'm still in a hotel until I can find my own place.”


“Well, I guess we could give you a shot at it. No promises though. What time can you start?”


“Anytime.”


“Well how about you come around at 7:30a.m. tomorrow and we'll have someone show you what to do.”


“Ok, thank you very much. See you tomorrow!”


I practically skipped all the way back to the hotel, even though my feet hurt from walking so much. But it was good to finally be walking instead of just sitting in the car.


I looked at my watch. I still had a half an hour before I said I would be back. I sat down on a bench and just watched what went on around me. Everybody seemed so laid back. And tan. Guess I stuck out like a sore thumb. What else is new...


After about 10 minutes, I started heading back. I wondered what I was going to do for the rest of the day.

When I got back, and they were all waiting to go have lunch. My stomach growled. I had forgotten about breakfast.


“Hey where've you been?” Derek yelled. “We've been waiting forever!”


“Not quite,” Cameron laughed. “So tell us, what were u doing?”


“I got a job,” I said.


Nobody was expecting that. The all just stared at me with their mouths open. I laughed out loud.

“For real?” Jade was the first person to speak.



“Haha, yeah.”

“Whoot! Good for you!” Derek cheered.


“Looks like Jamie's the winner!” Cameron squeeled.
“Huh?”



“Your the first one to get a job!”


“Oh, yeah, well I just wanted to get that over with.”


“Hey let's all get some lunch, and then the rest of us can go look for some jobs.” Derek said. “Maybe Jamie can help us out since she's a pro at this.”


“No trust me, I felt stupid. I never was good at the whole job hunting thing.”


“Eh, whatever.”


I was finally starting to feel like part of the gang. And it felt good.

1 comment:

cady said...

Grr. I've always wanted to work at a coffee shop. LOL.