Saturday, February 28, 2009

22. Sing us a song

I was trying to process everything. I thought for sure Mom and Dad would freak. Now this e-mail confused me. Were they trying to make it sound like they were supporting me, when they were really trying to find out where I was to come take me home or visit me or something? Or were they genuinely giving me my freedom?



My fingers drifted over the keys, but I couldn't find anything to say.



I'll think about this later.



I put my laptop away and returned to the group. They were all sitting around doing whatever. Payton was leaning up against the wall, gently strumming his guitar. Cameron was talking and texting at the same time. Derek was laying on the ground, picking up fuzzes off the carpet, and Jade was sitting cross-legged, staring absently at the ceiling.



Suddenly Jade snapped out of her daze and said, "Payton, sing us a song."



"Um, ok? What do you want to hear?" He said



"I love when you do Shadow of the Day" She answered



"o0o! Me too! You haven't done that one in ages." Cameron piped up.



I sat down against the wall next to Cameron and watched Payton as he started the song.



"I close both locks below the window..."





I was blown away by. I had no idea he sang that well. His voice was basically perfect. I could feel my jaw drop, and I quickly snapped out of it and shut my mouth. I threw a look around the room to make sure no one saw me. There was so much emotion in his voice. Like he felt each note he sang. For someone who wasn't extremely outgoing, he sang like he owned the stage. I mean, IF we had a stage anyways...



I sat there soaking it in, and wishing the song could go on and on.

4 comments:

cady said...

Impressive, Payton. Haha.

That title reminded me of that line from Mama:
"And if you would call me your sweetheart, I'd maybe then sing you a song"

Cait said...

Very sweet moment. I like this part.

cady said...

Oh. And Chris doesn't have a tattoo, Laney. Not yet. XD

ellie said...

When I keep thinking Payton..I think of One Tree Hill..sorry, But it was nice how the scene evolved. Keep going.