Friday, February 27, 2009

21. You do your best not to show it

After unloading our meager possesions, I turned on my laptop and checked my e-mails. My mom had replied back to my message.



Dear Jamie,

Way to set a somber mood there Mother...

We were quite shocked to wake up that morning and find you gone. I found your note and I understand about needing your independence, but couldn't you have talked this through with me and your father? We realize you are an adult now, but you still need to remember we're your parents. We need to know what's going on. We are not mad at you and we still love you. If you do decide that you want to come back, you'll always have a room here with us. If you need anything or ever need to talk, please let call me. I miss you.

Love you,

Mom

P.S. Could you send me an address of where you are staying?

I couldn't respond. I just couldn't.

5 comments:

Lonely Heart said...

Woah...I dunno if my parents would have responded like that. I know that's probably hard to read right now, but you should at least try to respond. You don't have to tell them where you are: Just let them know you're ok.

cady said...

"Send me the address" . . . aka code for "MapQuest it so I can come invade your life"

I'm in a cynical mood at the moment.

shelbyisms said...

I agree with Lonely Heart. They're your parents and they care. Although they're most likely overbearing-overprotective-andannoying, they still gave life to you and you at least owe them that.

However, props to the leaving for independence.

ellie said...

oh..this makes me think of a friend of mine who upped and left and won't talk to any of us anymore. she's with her boyfriend. i hope he's treating her right. I just wish she'd let her Mom know for sure, though.

Cait said...

I'm glad her parents are open..but I have a feeling mine would be very very upset and my Mom would have to be heavily sedated. But she was really cool when I moved in with my boyfriend. She even got us futon because all we had was a half-bed. Thank God, she knew we could not live on love alone. Ha!